History of Kennett Steak & Mushroom

In June of 1997, Lou Caputo and Jeffrey “Herb” Guest, two partners in the largest Shiitake and Oyster log supplying companies in North America, purchased a real estate investment that was previously known as a community eyesore, the old Birch Inn.

This early 1800 building that was once a Fertilizer plant, Hardware store, Paint Supply and Tractor Repair shop and in 1949 became the Birch Inn, when owner Don Davenport started selling beer. After adding rooms upstairs in 1950, he was able to purchase the original Kennett Hotel Liquor license. After successfully running the Birch Inn for twenty-four years, Davenport sold the Inn to the DeWire family who ran the business for another successful twenty-four years before selling to Caputo and Guest in 1997.

 

They started by renovating the old motel. Destroyed in a fire in 1998, they rebuilt and re-opened the motel in April 1999, which provided 14 comfortable and incredibly clean and tastefully appointed rooms to accommodate overnight guests visiting Kennett Square.

Renovations began in 2003 on the restaurant and Caputo and Guest opened the Kennett Steak and Mushroom Restaurant/Motel in 2004.

 

We want to share our love and passion for good food and service at affordable prices with everyone who comes through the door.

 

 

 

   

HomeHistory of OwnersHistory of RestaurantRestaurant & MenuRecipes Fresh MushroomsPrivate FunctionsMotelContact